It is an excellent thing to buy a ballet barre for kids. Kids can use this at home and can practice more to improve their skills. There are lots of different ballet barre available in the market, so it can be difficult to find the best ballet barre for kids.
This article will help you what to look for when you are buying a ballet barre. One thing is for sure that one ballet barre can’t work well for everyone. This is why we are providing you this buying guide, and it will help you to find out the best one that fits your needs.
The Purpose of Ballet Barre
Dancers use the ballet barre to maintain their balance and for warming their muscles. Dancers keep their hands on the barre and it will help them to strengthen the targeted muscle and develop their technique.
When dancers only focus on maintaining balance, they end up activating their muscles that will counter pull or push the falling or wobbling. It happens because the muscles don’t have the required strength to control them. So, the purpose of ballet barre is to strengthen the targeted muscle and develop technique.
What to Look For While Choosing Ballet Barre for Kids?
Whether your kids go to the ballet studio or a tap dance class, you can support them by providing them the practice materials at home. I am not talking about a fully dedicated dance room here; I am just talking about ballet barre. So, while choosing a perfect ballet barre for kids, you will have to consider lots of things. Spend some time in finding a perfect one so that you can get full value for your money. Look for the following factors when you want to buy a bar.
Ballet barre is made of different materials, so it depends on you which one you want to buy.
Metal: Such as aluminium or steel.
Plastic: Typically PVC pipes.
Woods: Hardwood, such as maple, poplar, oak, and ash.
There are two types of ballet barre.
- Fixed Ballet Bar
- Portable Ballet Bar
The fixed ballet bar is mounted to the floor or a wall. A portable bar is freestanding and runs between two portable supports.
You also have to take other important factors into account. Such as:
- How much space will you have to spare for a ballet barre?
- What is the maximum amount that you want to spend on ballet barre?
- Whether adjustability is important to you or not?
So before making any decision, look for drawbacks and benefits of each factor, and it will help you to narrow down your choice.
Ballet bar Materials
As it is mentioned earlier, a ballet bar is made from one of the three materials-metal, plastic, or wood. So deciding about the best material depends on your budget and personal preference. Each of these materials has some benefits and drawbacks, so consider all those before making a decision.
When we talk about ballet barre, wood is probably the most popular material. In a dance studio, you will see wooden bars. However, when it comes to portable bars, wooden bars are rarely used.
- Wooden bars are pleasing to the eye and easy to handle.
- It is lightweight and stronger than plastic material.
- Wood is a recyclable resource, so it is eco-friendly.
So, before buying a wooden ballet barre for kids, consider these pros and cons.
The portable bar you see in the studio is made of metal. Metal can be used in both fixed and portable bars.
- If you choose steel material, then you will have to face the weight issue.
- If you don’t look after properly, aluminum bars can bend or dent.
- Metal is usually too hot or cold, so sometimes it becomes difficult for the dancer to hold.
So, look for metal materials before buying ballet barre for kids.
Plastic bars are inexpensive and lightweight because these bars are made of PVC pipes. You can make these bars by purchasing pipes from your nearby store.
- If you have a tight budget, then these bars are for you.
- Easy to move around.
- For a younger kid, plastic bars can be a good choice.
- Fitting and supports that come with plastic bars are not ideal for fixed bars.
- Plastic bars have a short life expectancy.
- When kids try to sit on it, plastic can easily break.
Summary of Factors to Look For In a Ballet Barre for Kids
So, this summary will help you in picking the best ballet barre for kids.
- The ballet bar should be portable so that it can be taken to any place. It means parts should be easily fordable so that you can easily carry them.
- The material of the ballet bar should be sturdy. All the elements attached to the ballet bar should be made of high-quality materials. Wood can be durable, but it can be expensive as well.
- The price should be reasonable. There is no need to spend too much money on something that will be used only every now and then. Prices will depend on the type of material. Make sure that the ballet bar fits your needs, and also it is available at a reasonable price.
- You can find the best models on the internet and read the reviews of people. It will help you to make a decision.
So, this buying guide can help you to purchase the best ballet barre for kids.