Ballerina shoes are also called ballet flats or ballerina flats. They are special shoes designed and specialized for ballerina dancing. Ballerina shoes are known to be light and flexible. They were made for it. Ballerina dancing.
Different parts of the Ballerina Shoe
The ballerina flats have different parts. The parts that make the ballet flats serve different purposes. The parts of the ballet flats are as follows:
- The box
- The wings
- The platform
- The vamp
- The shank.
The box is the front part. It supports the toes and the toe joints of the dancer.
The wings are the lateral parts of the box.
The platform is the oval-shaped flat part at the tip of the flats.
The vamp is the length of the box from the platform to the shoe opening.
The shank is the inner part of the sole.
Variety in Ballerina Shoes
Ballerina shoes have variety. It is up to you to choose the one you like and that which would serve you best.
The differences in ballerina shoes are in the following:
- Sole type
Ballet flats are either made from canvas or leather. In the case of the two, it is important to choose the best material for you. Before you make your choice, it is important to consider the following:
- The floor you would dance on
- The rate of your perspiration especially for your feet
If the floor for your ballerina is made of wood, you might want to consider getting yourself the leather ballet flats. Canvas would be slippery and will not be a good fitting for you.
The leather, on the other hand, is better on the wooden floor as it would add some friction to your footing.
Canvas is better on the ballet floor. It will reduce the friction between your flats and the floor. Leather will seem sticky because the friction between the floor and flats will be greater.
If your feet get sweaty when dancing, you would want to consider getting the canvas flats. Canvas material is breathable. Leather would make your sweating situation worse which would affect your performance.
Canvas flats are also cheaper than leather flats but before you rush into getting yourself the canvas flats because they are cheaper than the leather flats, you should know that canvas wears out much faster than leather so the leather flats have an edge on the durability.
The sole type in the ballet shoes can either be:
- full sole
- split sole.
Different people have different opinions on the two. Some say the single sole or full sole provides a little resistance when you are at a stance that needs your shoes to arch or bend.
In the part of the sole type, it is more of a personal preference as different people have different thoughts and opinions on the two soles.
The consideration you need to take into account before buying your ballerina shoes.
- Feet size
- Type of the shoe
- Colour of the shoe
- The pricing of the shoe
You need to get the shoe size that properly fits your feet. You don't want to get a shoe that will have a smaller box that pinches too much on your toes. A big box will also spell trouble for your ballerina dancing as the box will not support your toes enough when en pointe.
Type of the shoe
In the type of shoe, you need to weigh in what the choices provide. You have the option of choosing a ballerina shoe with a full sole or split sole and also whether you want it to be canvas or leather.
- If the floor for your ballerina dancing is made of wood, you might want to consider getting yourself the leather ballet flat. Canvas would be slippery and will not be a good fitting for you. The leather, on the other hand, is better on the wooden floor as it would add some friction to your footing.
- Canvas is better on the ballet floor. It will reduce the friction between your flats and the floor. Leather will seem sticky because the friction between the floor and flats will be greater.
- If your feet get sweaty when dancing, you would want to consider getting the canvas flats. Canvas material is breathable.
Colour of the shoe
Different people have different preferences when it comes to color but when it comes to ballerina shoes for dancing, it is always advisable to go for the color close to your skin complexion.
If you need brown ballerina shoes but are not available in the market, you can always get a different color and color it brown from home. This custom coloring is called pancaking. Pancaking is easy and shouldn't worry you. You just need the right things and equipment for pancaking.
Have you ever wanted something so bad but the price for it wasn't right? Well, we all have budget constraints. If you are looking for cheaper ballerina shoes and wanted to get leather instead of canvas, you might want to compromise. Leather shoes cost more.
What makes good ballerina shoes
- The ballerina shoes should not be loud to distract you when dancing
- Should have a good grip on the floor to prevent slipping, sliding and falling. The friction has to be in the right amount.
- Malleable box to allow movement of the toes
- Flexible to allow bending when need be.
- Should be soft to provide comfort.
- Tough to withstand hours of dancing and shouldn't wear or tear easily
- The box has to be tough to support your toes when dancing and en pointe.
- They are very flat and light.
Making your ballerina shoes last longer
There are things you can do to make your flats last longer than those that belong to the average user. You can do the following:
- Keep them dry. Allow them to dry after dancing with them. Your feet will have made the shoes absorb some of your sweat. Dry them.
- Apply pointe hardener. Make sure you purchase the hardener if you don't have one. It is good to buy one when buying the ballerina shoes.
- Have an extra pair of shoes. Having an extra pair of shoes would rest the other pair when not in use.